Soft and spongy cake filled with a delicious smooth pastry cream and topped with an amazing chocolate glaze.
Ok, first i want to tell you that Sweetima is now on facebook! Isn’t that great,huh? 🙂
Anyways, it’s boston cream pie time! This cake is soft and moist, filled with an amazing pastry cream and finally topped with some wonderful chocolate glaze. What’s not to like? Sure, it’s a little time consuming, but it is sooo worth it in the end! Trust me.
Now, I was actually going to post a boston cream pie recipe a few days back, but i knew i could improve it and make it better. And i was right. So here it is! YUM!
If you have never had a boston cream pie before you should really try this recipe! It’s amazing! I mean, just look at it,look at the filling, look at that amazing filling!
I love pastry cream so much that i could just eat it plain, and i am sure you could too. It’s just sooo good, and the texture is really creamy and smooth, and, you guessed it, delicious!
If you actually let this cake set enough in the fridge, you will get a much cleaner cut. I just couldn’t wait! I mean come on! I already waited for everything to cool and stuff, isn’t that enough? I need to eat! And of course, take photos 😉
Boston Cream Pie
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup butter,softened.
- 1 and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- 1 teaspoons vanilla sugar.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3 large eggs,at room temperature.
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
For the filling:
- 2 cups milk.
- 1 whole egg + 3 egg yolks.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt.
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar.
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a springform pan with some parchment paper.Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together your butter,sugars and salt until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add in your eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Next add in your flour and baking powder and mix until combined. Use a spatula to make sure everything is well comined.
- Spread the batter evenly in your baking pan and bake for 28-35 minutes or until lightly golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool before assembling.
- To make the filling : In a large sauce pan add your milk and heat over medium high heat.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl whisk your egg, egg yolks,sugar,cornstarch,vanilla and salt. Slowly pour in the warm milk whisking constantly. Pour the egg and milk mixture back to the sauce pan and bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes until it becomes thick. Place the cream in a bowl,cover directly with plastic wrap and let it cool completely.
- To make the glaze : In a medium bowl,add your sugar,cocoa powder and milk and mix well until your get a pourable consistency, it should still be a bit thick, you don’t want it to be too runny.
- To assemble : Cut your cake in half and fill it with the pastry cream,place your other half on top. Pour your glaze on top of the cake. Place the cake in the fridge to set before serving. Enjoy!